On any average day, I come across hundreds if not thousands of interesting articles on Twitter. Being that most of my Twitter friends are geeks like me, I would say approximately 80% of those articles are about the mobile industry. If I would blog about even half the exciting mobile developments I read, I would never stop writing. So I figured I would write a short summary of what is happening with the major mobile players based on things I have read recently. Here goes…
- Nokia: Nokia reported its worst ever quarter with losses of $832 million in the third quarter. I am assuming this is a result of the competition that is strengthening. I am referring of course to Apple, Android, RIM, and even Windows Mobile. Nokia is coming out with the very awesome N900 tablet/phone, and I for one, would love to get my hands on it. Not sure if it will put Nokia back up to its past numbers, but I am sure the N900 will be a very popular phone, if the best mobile phone out there.
- Android: Android is spreading its wings with new devices being announced all the time. The most exciting of them are the Hero, which impressed me a lot, although definitely has its minuses, and the Motorola CLIQ, which has everyone very excited, but I personally am yet to be convinced. Android has a new campaign bashing the iPhone and focusing on its shortcomings. I personally am not a huge fan of this kind of marketing, but the video does mention some very valid points.
- Sony Ericsson: It would take a lot to get me to buy a SE phone, never been a huge fan, but the new Xperia 3, might just change that. It is yet another Android device, and with a Snapdragon processor, making it the fastest Android device to date. It also has an 8 megapixel camera, as well as all the other goodies found on the average smartphone today.
- Apple: Apple is continuing with the cat and mouse game regarding jailbreaking the iPhone. The new 3GS is supposedly unjailbreakable, but a hacker friend told me that will not be the case for long. Besides that, there are the frequent rumors about the Apple tablet, which Kevin rose just tweeted is not gonna happen, based on a leak from a drunk Apple employee (gotta love Twitter).
- Samsung: Is it just me or does Samsung pop out new phones faster than I can say TouchWiz? How many phones are in their Omnia line now? The Omnia, Omnia HD, Omnia Pro, Omnia 2, do I need to continue? Samsung also jumped on the Android bandwagon with the Galaxy, a solid phone, but in my opinion, not solid enough to replace an iPhone, if I were to go touch.
- Microsoft: I consider Microsoft guilty until proven innocent. I am told that Windows Mobile 6.5 is amazing, but I will believe it when I see it… That’s all I have to say about that…
There really is so much more I can write, just jotted down some of the things that stuck out in my head. You can see specs and features for all the mobiles at http://www.mobilephone-expert.co.uk/. Would love to hear what new phones you are exciting about, so please share your thoughts in the comments.